Audacity is a free audio editing software.
In this video I will show you how to download, install and make a simple effect to an audio file in this free audio editing software called Audacity.
This is step by step tutorial for downloading and installing Audacity and is made for absolute beginners.
Search for the term “Audacity” in your favourite search engine:
Installing the software is straight forward. It is same as you install almost any Windows software.
You will see a few pages that you will hit the next button and then finally the “Finish” button.
Note: in the “Select Additional Tasks” page I also check the “Reset Preferences” checkbox. It is not necessary, but I find it as a good practice, to make sure that Audacity is installed correctly.
The most current version is Audacity 2.4.2.
Inside Audacity I show you how to import a .mp3 file.
You will go File -> Import and then choose the file from the “Select one or more files” dialog page.
After importing it, the waveform of the audio file shows in the screen.
If you want to select the whole file in the audio track, you can go to Select ->All or simply use the Ctrl+A combination.
Next, you can use the Play, Stop and Pause buttons to play, stop or pause the audio file.
To add effects to the audio file, you can go to the Effect drop-down menu and select one of the effects like:
- amplify – allows you to increase/decrease the volume amplitude
- auto duck – allows you to apply the auto ducking effect. Very useful when you want to have both a voice over and a music in the background. I use this method for my YouTube videos
- bass and treble – to adjust the bass and treble of the audio
- change pitch – changing the voice pitch
- change speed – to change the speed of the audio file
- compressor – to compress the audio file
- echo – to add an echo to the audio
- equalization – used to equalize the audio through different frequencies
- fade in/out – adding a fade in/out effect
- noise reduction – to remove noise for the audio. Usually to remove any background humming or buzzing, when recording a voice over
- normalize – to normalize the audio levels of an audio file
- and many other effects …
Audacity if very useful free audio software that allows you to make almost all elementary edits to an audio file.
I have been using Audacity for a while now and I can say that it has helped a lot in my video or tutorial production process.
In case you have any question or comment, leave them in the comment section below.
Thank you for visiting us!